None of us ever really wants to talk about it, but we all know it's coming. The time when we'll have to say goodbye to a beloved pet. Their lives are never long enough and we often begin worrying even before the end is truly near. Some folks don't begin worrying until their pet's age hits double digits. For others, it's when they find themselves holding their breath during vet visits with a senior pet, hoping that routine blood work doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. For others the sadness begins when they watch a beloved pet begin to sleep more, have trouble getting up, or no longer hear or respond to knocks on the door or the doorbell. I've had many a client tell me that they pray that their pet will pass in their sleep so that they won't have to make that decision for them. Having had a dog pass in his sleep, I can tell you firsthand, it doesn't make it any easier at all. In fact, I think it's a bit harder as you didn't have the chance to tell them goodbye or remind them just how much you loved them. Nonetheless, those final vet appointments to help your pet cross the rainbow bridge aren't easy either. They are gut-wrenching in fact, but still a necessary part of pet ownership.
I've sat on the floor of veterinary hospitals with my own pets and with client's pets. I've participated in at home euthanasias for my own pets and those belonging to long time clients and friends. For myself, I now prefer at home euthanasias for my pets. I know being in their own home, on their own bed, or in their favorite spot in the garden, is the right choice for my own dogs. Nonetheless, I also know that may not be possible if there is an emergency trip to a veterinary hospital and we end up making that hard decision while we are there. I take solace in the fact that my veterinarian is also my friend, so she will sit with me and be just as devastated about the passing of one of my beloved collies. And, I have already chosen an in home veterinarian who specializes in end of life care for when that time comes.
And some days, I feel like that time is just getting closer and closer with sweet Ozzie. He'll be 12 years old in January and has become quite frail. It's hard most days for him to get around, though he still rallies. He doesn't hear the knocks, and often doesn't hear me calling him for meals. He sleeps most of the time. But then there are days when he trots around, barking at Henley and Zelly, nosing me for treats and attention, and strolling around the yard, giving the squirrels a piece of his mind. I live for those days! Those days remind me of who Ozzie has always been, a true character, proud and opinionated. I'm truly delighted when he wants to do a pet therapy visit with me as I've always given him a choice. For the last few months, he's been choosing yes. When he sees me put on my pet therapy shirt and badge, he follows me around, making sure I put the therapy dog leash on him and not Henley. I do know those therapy visits are good for him, stimulating his brain and body. He does sleep like a rock, however, the moment we get home, and usually for much of the next day, and that's honestly okay.
He's an old dog. I get it. I'm just not ready for him to go quite yet and luckily, he's not ready yet either. But I know that day will come and I'll have to face the reality of letting him go. I want him to have dignity; I won't keep him alive just to keep me from having to say goodbye. If he's uncomfortable, can no longer get around, or isn't enjoying life, then I will make that hard decision and let him go. Just grateful that day isn't today as I watch him laying in the sunshine in my garden, taking deep breaths, soundly asleep. I hope he's dreaming about chasing squirrels and running on the beach. When it's time for his afternoon bone, I'll send Zelly out to get him. She's great at this task and clearly loves having the job. I say, "Zelly! Go tell Uncle Ozzie it's snack time!" and she'll run out and find him, give him a sharp bark, and wait to see if he gets up. If he doesn't, it's cute, she'll nose him and bark again as if to say, "Come on, Uncle Ozzie! No one gets a snack until you get yours!" The joys of a having a young dog around; she provides the balance and levity while Henley waits patiently for his old friend to get up and move along.
None of us are getting any younger. Today is the youngest Ozzie will be from now on. So, here's our plan: He's on his tPEMF therapy mat right now, and when that session is done, he'll have his afternoon bone, and then I'll let him outside so he can go and nap in his little shady spot at the back of my garden. Henley will go in and out, checking on him, but never disturbing him. Then, I'll send Zelly out for him at dinner time. It's a dog's life.
As always, if you have questions about your pet's behavior, you know where to find me.

No comments:
Post a Comment