Your relationship with your dog is a relatively short one, unfortunately. They just don't live as long as we do. It's really their only shortcoming, but all the more reason to enjoy the individual animal in front of you for who they are, not who they should have been/could have been/might have been. If you treat your dog as a unique individual, you'll find yourself asking better questions: What do they need to be happy? What can I do to keep their brain active? How much exercise works best for them? What is their favorite treat? Do they even like the beach, or are they just going because I enjoy it? Answering those questions honestly will not only help you be a better pet parent, they'll help you better understand your dog.
Understanding your dog as an individual means being a better observer in order to answer those questions effectively. Watch their behavior; learn to read their body language; wait for those cues to come from your dog instead of filling in the blanks yourself. For example: Instead of just handing your dog the treat you think they'll like, have one in each hand. Ask them to sit and then let them sniff each hand closed around the treat. Let them choose the one they want. Trust me, you'll know when they paw or nudge the hand with the treat they've chosen. Sure, they might like both treats, but that's not the question we asked! We asked which one, between these two choices, is your favorite today? Notice I said today. You could do the same exercise tomorrow, with those same two treats, and they might pick something different and that's the whole point. Most of us do the same thing! We might like tortilla chips with our sandwich one day, but prefer Cheetos the next.
Many of you that follow me on Facebook, know about my dog buddy, Loki. We spend many a Saturday morning together, exploring, climbing, sniffing, and wandering. I always let him choose. When I get him out of the car, I'll ask him where he wants to go. If he doesn't immediately head in one direction, I'll start heading one way myself, and he'll often put on the brakes, and change our course. He had a destination in mind, it just took him a minute to decide. I can then tell by the direction he's chosen, what activity he's in the mood for. And yes, we do this every Saturday that we are together. It's why, I believe, he enjoys spending time with me. I treat him as an individual who can make choices about what he does, and doesn't, want to do with our mornings together.
If you've ever been unsure as to whether your dog enjoys trips to the beach, or a particular hiking route, take a moment and recall what their body language and behavior was like the last time you were there together. Did they get antsy in the car, realizing where they were going? Did they eagerly hop out of the car, ready to get started? Did they seem to never want the day to end? If the answers are no, then that outing isn't a favorite for them, even if it's a favorite for you. Maybe the car ride is too long and they get a bit nauseous. Or maybe, the last time they were there with you they were too warm, or there were other dogs there that made them anxious. Whatever the case may be, you've noted their preferences. Once again, just because your previous dog loved the beach, doesn't mean your current one necessarily does and that's okay. They are different individuals. You can still go to the beach, obviously, but maybe you don't take them with you every time, or you find a way to make it more fun for them. If they are social, maybe meeting a friend and their dog at the beach is a better idea. If they just aren't a fan of the water or sand, stay up on the bluff. If they tire easily, bring a picnic blanket or beach towel big enough to share and a few snacks to make the stops more enjoyable. It's called compromise and it's what makes any relationship successful, even the one you have with your dog.
Henley and I ran together early this morning before it got too warm outside. We don't run fast, and we mix in some spots to walk, and for him to sniff, and relieve himself. We do this a couple times a week because it's an activity we both enjoy. He's the second dog I've had who enjoyed running with me; Ozzie loved it too, but is now too old and frail for the activity, so we do other stuff together. Desi? Desi hated to run; he didn't even like a brisk walk. He always preferred a slow amble, and never very far. Trips to the beach with Desi always meant a lot of breaks to bird watch, and that was fine by me. The beach can be enjoyed by runners and amblers alike.
As always, if you have questions about your pet's behavior, you know where to find me.
One of my favorite photos of Ozzie and Desi on a beach day. Yes, it was really windy and yes, they actually thought that it was perfect collie weather!

Loved this blog. It took years for me to “learn” my dog and knowing him well bonded us deeply. It takes reciprocal trust. I learned to trust him, for example, to choose the strangers and/or dogs he wanted to greet. He trusted me to protect him from dogs which for one reason or another, he wanted to avoid. If he wanted to turn back on a previously loved trail, I followed his lead because I trusted his instinct and keen senses ( we live in bear and mountain lion country).
ReplyDeleteHe earned my trust over the years, and I like to think that I earned his. Sometimes I would look to him for guidance, other times, he would look to me. I lost him when he was over fifteen years old. I hope to soon have another dog to “learn”. And with my next dog, I plan to let them choose their own treats! 🥰