Monday, March 26, 2018

Playing Favorites

I've said it time and again. Dogs play favorites.  While it is indeed true that dogs have the capacity to enjoy the company of lots of different people, most have a favorite person.  You know...the person for whom the sun rises and sets in their eyes.  Pet assisted therapy dogs like my collie, Desi, are social butterflies. He loves meeting new people and actually gets offended if folks don't stop to pet him and make a fuss. However, I know he plays favorites.  He loves my husband.  My husband is all about the pack and shares anything he has with Desi. Cheese. Yogurt. Popcorn.  Desi's three favorite things, coming from his favorite person.  I'm the one who feeds Desi his meals, so he does love me, don't get me wrong.  But he adores his dad.  Then there is my other collie, Ozzie.  I am his person.  He likes many people he knows, but he loves me. Most of the time, that is. When I bring out the nail clippers, he hides.  His other favorite?  My two teenage girls.  He adores them.  They will hug him, let him on their beds, and fuss over him.  What boy doesn't love that?  But Ozzie is aloof with strangers.  He isn't aggressive, he just holds back.  Which works just fine because Desi wants to meet everybody.

So, what was the point of all that?  Well, I tell clients the same thing.  While they may have chosen a dog with every intent that the dog will be theirs and theirs alone, said dog may prefer someone else.  Some breeds are notorious for this. French Bulldogs, for example.  I have more than one client who picked a Frenchie for themselves only to find the dog loves their spouse, their parents, or a neighbor more. There are definitely things that can be done to swing the odds in your favor if you find yourself being snubbed. Do something that the dog enjoys. Take them for a walk, a ride in the car, or out with you to lunch.  Share your time...and your snacks. You may not be their first choice, but you will still be in the top two!

There is actually some science behind this as well. Female dogs tend to bond more with male owners and vice versa.  Again, this doesn't mean you won't find a woman with a female dog who is hopelessly devoted to her, because you will. It's just statistics and probabilities.  So, if you are a man looking for your next canine companion, you can put the odds forever in your favor by choosing a female dog.  However, if you fall for a male dog, don't be too surprised if he favors your girlfriend/wife/daughter/mother.  Just remember that can work in your favor as that dog will make you look really good in the eyes of those women in your life. And any person with a sociable, friendly dog is viewed by others as more sociable and friendly as well. So, while you may have to work for your dog's affection, he's making you look good in front of others. Enough said.


No comments:

Post a Comment