Friday, March 2, 2018

Kids & Dogs Class Returns!

More than once, I've been told that I'm crazy to teach a class for kids and their dogs.  Comments have ranged from, "that must be like herding cats!" to "that must be a nightmare!"  I always laugh because my kids and dogs class is a blast.  Kids have energy and enthusiasm which many adults are sorely lacking. Plus, the kids in my class get a kick out of the fact that no parents are allowed until the last class where they get to show off what they can do. I know that the parents are often skeptical about leaving their kids and dogs in my care (I'll admit that some actually seem relieved!), but the class always gets rave reviews from parents and kids alike, so I must be doing something right.

So, what makes this class different and fun?  First off, it's all about teaching kids that they can be responsible and have control over their dogs.  Second, we play games and work on trick training as a means of gaining respect by the dog for the kids and vice versa. I truly think the dogs enjoy the limbo game as much as the kids do!  It's a pleasure to see kids become more confident and to watch their dogs build trust in their young companions. 

It IS a lot of work to teach this class, don't get me wrong.  There have been times when siblings got into it with each other during the class, we've had dogs get over-stimulated, and we've had treats dumped on the floor more times that I can remember.  Nonetheless, I enjoy this class and continue to offer it a couple of times each year (usually around Spring Break and during the Summer).  I've had kids take the class more than once, so I know they must be having a good time. For me, it is a sweet reminder of a time when my own kids were little and I let them work with our dogs one-on-one.  The pride they felt and the tricks their dogs accomplished are memories I hold dear.  My hope is that when the parents of these kids show up to the last class to watch their kids and dogs in action, that they too feel a sense of pride in what their kids can accomplish outside of a traditional classroom, and with an instructor (me) who is anything but conventional!

If you would like more information on this class, visit www.adobedogs.org for details.

My niece building confidence working with two of my dogs (2006)

No comments:

Post a Comment