Wednesday, March 15, 2017

A Few Good Books

People who know me, know how much I love to read. It's a passion I inherited from my mother and my grandmother, both avid readers. While I enjoy a wide variety of books, I think my friends are most interested in what dog-themed books I like best. My last blog was about my favorite new training book from Denise McLeod which spurred a couple of readers of the blog to ask what else I have enjoyed. So here you go!

"Being a Dog: Following the Dog Into a World of Smell," by Alexandra Horowitz. I loved her previous book as well, "Inside of a Dog." She brings solid research on our canine companions into the realm of entertaining reading. This time around she is addressing how humans can reconnect with their sense of smell by following the lead of their dogs. Fascinating!

"Free Days With George," by Colin Campbell. The story of a man whose personal life is turned upside down and he falls into a deep depression. Enter George, a 140 lb rescue Newfoundland Dog. The two frequent the beach together and take up surfing. The rest is So Cal history.

"A Dog Walks Into a Nursing Home," by Sue Halpern. The true story of a woman who sought out a dog with the express purpose of training the dog for pet assisted therapy. The dog does that and so much more, becoming her devoted companion and a bridge for the author, visiting veterans hospitals in her community.

And if you are looking for a gift book, look no further than, "The Dogist." This is a gorgeous book of photographs of regular dogs out doing regular stuff. The author/photographer captured the images of 1000 dogs out and about in their neighborhoods. Little captions with the photos really add to the whimsy of this book.

I truly could go on and on and on. And don't get me started on great animal-themed books for kids. I could talk about that for hours!  Happy reading everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment