Wednesday, August 24, 2022

When Expectations and Reality Do Not Match Up

I've been working with these clients for a couple of months now. They are a retired couple with a new puppy.  They've had puppies before, and they've had this breed before, but this dog is giving them a run for their money.  The pup's behavior is creating friction between the humans as well, and that's why they were sent my way.  While my master's degree is in Animal Behavior, my background is in Psychology, so understanding human behavior is part of (and sometimes a giant chunk of!) what I do. This couple even joked about them needing the training and not the dog.  They weren't far off the mark with that comment.

Although puppyhood is characterized by a lot of commonalities, each puppy is an individual and as such "results may vary" if you simply approach the puppy in front of you the same way you've approached every other dog you've owned. Plus, we've learned quite a bit about the way puppies learn and how best to teach them everything from where to toilet, to how to walk nicely on a leash. Times change, methodologies change, and frankly puppies have changed too.  Just because you've chose the same breed time and again doesn't mean that the breeder you got your current puppy from will learn the same way your previous dogs did.  Rule #1:  Don't compare your kids or your dogs.

I gave these clients a crash course in animal learning theory and backed up my suggestions with the science behind why they should implement these ideas for their puppy.  First off, he's big.  Big for his age and big for his breed.  We need to teach him to be calm and well-mannered now, while we have a chance and before he even thinks about bullying his senior owners!  Yanking his collar/leash, smacking him on the nose, and grabbing his mouth when he bites aren't going to make him better behaved, but they very well may make him more of a problem.  Rule #2:  Be patient. Be consistent.  Give yourself, and your puppy, a time out.

One of the puppy's owners took me aside to tell me, rather sheepishly, that she doesn't really like this puppy and she doesn't even think he's cute.  I told her that it was possible to love her puppy, but not love his behavior.  And as far as cute goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  Just as some people think newborn babies are ugly little squishy faced gnomes, I think they are adorable!  I think that if we can get this puppy onto a regular schedule of naps, bathroom breaks, play time, leash learning, and training, he'll blossom into a nice, predictable, and yes attractive, family member.  Rule #3:  Dogs, like kids, thrive on predictable schedules and routines.

There was a bit of bickering back and forth between the clients as they observed me working with their puppy.  He is a delightful, enthusiastic learner who actually gets things quickly.  He went from pulling and tugging on his leash, to walking nicely next to me on a loose leash, sitting every time I stopped moving.  One reason for this?  I never pulled his leash once.  I never yelled at him.  I didn't drag him.  I didn't push his bottom down.  What did I do?  I walked *with* him and if he started to pull, I'd loosen up the leash and change direction. He happily followed me. I rewarded that behavior.  When I stopped walking, I'd smile at him and tell him he was a good boy.  He'd sit.  I'd give him a treat for that.  Next thing you knew, he wasn't pulling, but just eagerly sniffing wherever we walked, looking back and up at me to check in occasionally, and sitting whenever and wherever I stopped.  He definitely understood the assignment.  Now we wait and see if the owners did too as their attention was often focused on throwing accusations at each other by this point.  Rule #4:  Dogs, like kids, will misbehave if they think no one is holding them accountable.  While the owners weren't paying attention to their puppy, I was.  He figured that out quickly and enjoyed working with me as it was much less stressful for him and a good deal more rewarding.

Anyone who has ever crammed for an exam will tell you that while they may be able to get enough useful information stuck in their head to pass the test, most of that information won't be there long term.  Shorter, immersive study sessions that capitalize on the way you learn best (auditory learning versus visual learning, or a combination of the two) will result in information sticking with you long after the exam.  The same is true for training dogs.  Frequent, short sessions where you don't just repeat the same thing over and over again are the sessions where they learn the most.  Practice things your dog already knows and then add in new challenges.  Make learning fun by changing locations where you work, adding in fun tasks like an impromptu agility session on a playground, or simply walking under and then jumping over a park bench. Always use a leash when you train indoors and outside as most places require a leash, so those puppies might as well learn to wear one comfortably for long periods of time right from the start.  Vary the length of your leash to give your dog more freedom and to make listening/attending to you more challenging for you both.  Always have treats in your pocket which brings us to Rule #5:  Everyone likes to get paid.  Dogs preferred forms of payment that are tangible rewards like food and toys.  Dogs do enjoy praise and affection, don't get me wrong.  But.  Food will enhance learning, speed up the process, and ensure that what you worked on sticks in their brain.

I'm really enjoying my work with this puppy.  I'm hoping I'll enjoy working with the owners more as they learn to embrace the puppy that they have and learn to accept that things have changed in the last 15 years since their previous dog was a puppy.  I am grateful that they haven't given up on him and that they trust me to guide them, even if they don't always agree with me right off the bat.  We're making progress and that's what counts.

As always, if you have questions about your pet's behavior, you know where to find me. 

All puppies need boundaries and structure.  Big breed puppies need those lessons early before their body growth outpaces their brain growth!


No comments:

Post a Comment