Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Great Expectations

No, I'm not trying to re-write my favorite Dickens' novel.  I just wanted to talk briefly about, well, great expectations, as they relate to the dogs we choose to share our lives with.

Recently, I've noticed a plethora of online questionnaires allowing potential dog owners to "answer these 10 questions and we'll tell you the perfect dog breed for you!" First off, there's no way a canned, 10 question test can accurately match you with your doggie soulmate.  Just as with the perfect human match for you, there is a lot more involved than just 10 questions.  Plus, I've noticed that these questionnaires actually suggest some very questionable matches.  I've taken the tests many times, as have many of my colleagues, because we find them entertaining, often eye-roll worth, and quite frequently face-palm inducing. I took one recently where they suggested that a Malinois was a good choice for a novice owner who enjoys a smart active dog.  Are you kidding me?! Anyone who knows this breed knows they aren't for novices and to say that they are simply "smart and active" is like saying that "rain is wet." Thank you Captain Obvious.  What about why they are that smart and what it will take to keep them engaged?!

Here's the thing. If people just took these tests for the fun of it, I'd have no problem with them. Like those online buzzfeed quizzes, they give you a good giggle over your morning cup of coffee. No, the bigger problem is people think these quizzes are real and the answers are all they need to make their next dog companion choice.  This is simply not true and likely to lead them down a path filled with frustration, unhappiness, and unfulfilled expectations.

So, when you are ready to choose your next dog, you certainly can, and should, approach it in a scientific manner. Research breeds while first taking into consideration the very basics.  That is, where you live, how much time you have to exercise the dog, how much time you have to devote to grooming, any allergies in your household, and your budget. The answers to these basic questions will narrow your field of choices significantly.  Then, you need to think about behavior and temperament.  Are you looking for a laid back companion to lay on the couch and watch Netflix with you? One with a lot of drive to perform, who will work with you on an agility course 5 days a week?  Or maybe a weekend warrior like yourself who will be happy to hang out at home during the week, but wants to hit the beach and the park on Saturdays and Sundays?

I am assuming you've noticed that I haven't once mentioned what the dog looks like or how popular the breed is.  That's because people get too wrapped up in "the cute factor" or the "in vogue factor" to understand that some of the most beautiful, popular dogs in the world aren't perfect in every home.  Plus, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people think Pugs are ugly. I for one think they are adorable and their temperaments make them suitable to a lot of home environments, including those with young children.

I have my own questionnaire that I give owners (and one for their kids, if they have them!) which is a lot longer than 10 questions!  At the end of the process, I match people with breeds that meet their expectations.  And more than once, I've told people that the dog they are looking for does not actually exist.  Reality can be a real downer sometimes. However, if you really know what to look for, your great expectations for your next canine companion may be closer to a reality.

So, if you've taken any of those online quizzes, would love if you would share the breeds you were matched with, versus what dog you actually have!  I had a friend who was looking for a laid back companion dog with a low maintenance coat.  She got matched with a German Shorthair Pointer.  Are you kidding me?!  They got the coat maintenance thing right, I guess, but laid back?! Anyone who has ever lived with a GSP knows laid back is not the description most often used for them.  Anyway, share your experiences.  And, as always, if you have questions or need help choosing your next dog, you know where to find me.

My perfect match. Always <3

No comments:

Post a Comment