Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Seeking Small Dog That Likes Cats!

I think we've talked about this once before, but I'm thinking it bears repeating because I was asked again about choosing "the perfect small dog breed to live in a home with cats." Although, to be honest, maybe the last time I was asked it was about the "perfect breed of dog for a busy house full of young children." LOL. I think you get the picture. So, let's talk about the perfect breed of dog.

There isn't one.  There. I said it.  There is no one perfect breed of dog for every situation.  That truly is the beauty of dog breeds.  There are so many of them, and endless combinations of breeds as well.  Sure, I have favorites as do many of the other pet professionals I know.  However, I also know that my favorite breed, the Collie, isn't for everyone.  They have A LOT OF HAIR.  And they will shed that hair EVERYWHERE.  I should own stock in lint rollers.  Everything sticks to their coats as well; they are like giant fluffy magnets for debris.  They have long noses that they stick in everyone's business. They are 80 lb lap dogs that also bark. A LOT. So, while I love Collies and know that they are perfect for my home, they aren't perfect for everyone.  Which brings me to my point.  Within any given breed, there will be individual dogs who are perfect for whatever situation you are living in and seeking a dog for.  Thus, while it may be generally said that Terriers, as a whole, are less likely to do well in homes with cats due to their innate high prey drive, I have certainly been in home with cats and terrier dogs and everyone gets along just great.  It also goes without saying that I've been in homes where the terrier dogs torment the cats causing enormous amounts of anxiety and stress for the people and the animals.

So, when selecting your next dog, you need to take into consideration all of the facets of your family; where you live, your yard size, the amount of time you have for grooming, exercise, training, etc., whether you have kids or elderly people in your home; and certainly your budget is important as well. You don't want to choose one of the more inherently expensive breeds (what some of my veterinarian friends refer to as "money pit dogs") if potentially high veterinary expenses aren't in your budget. This is why I encourage anyone who asks me about "the perfect breed of dog" to actually sit down with me and schedule a session where we can explore their needs in depth, look at their situation, and choose a dog with our brains, not just our hearts.  And it is definitely the case that I have done exactly this and discovered that the family I am working with isn't looking for a real dog. They are looking for some Disney/stylized/unattainable dog that just doesn't exist.  Dogs are not perfect.  People are not perfect.  But a good match is out there if people have reasonable expectations and a real desire to open their hearts and their home to a new canine family member.

Bottom line; Yes, there are small dogs that get along well with cats.  And there are definitely small dogs that don't.  Knowing that your home is better suited to a small dog is a good place to start, but there is still a lot of work to be done before we find the right one.  So, let's get started!


No comments:

Post a Comment