During the pandemic, I began using Zoom fairly regularly. I'd initially resisted video platforms as I wasn't sure my methodology would convert well over video and because I talk so fast, I was worried it would make it even harder for pet owners to understand what they needed to do if I wasn't standing right in front of them. I couldn't have been more wrong. Being forced to think outside of the box, slow down my talking speed, and find ways to demonstrate techniques using a video platform, allowed me to reach every new client I worked with during the COVID-19 shutdown, keeping my business afloat. One pandemic client worked for Google and asked if it would be possible to work with a group of his colleagues who were all bringing their dogs to work with them before the pandemic, and were having trouble working from home with those same dogs. From that request was born an idea: A way to use a video platform to offer virtual classes and seminars to groups of pet owners.
Since that first group appointment with the Google folks, I've taught many a virtual class and seminar. Here's how it works: One person organizes the group for the class or seminar, gathering people with similar questions/problems. It might be a "Puppy 101" seminar for new puppy owners, or it could be a discussion on how to treat separation anxiety. I've done single topic seminars, question and answer sessions with breed clubs and veterinary offices, and even an online puppy class! That one really stretched my abilities, I have to say. I'd always taught puppy classes in person, emphasizing puppy socialization, and building camaraderie among the participants so they'd support each other. With the virtual puppy class, the participants already knew one another from an in-person puppy socialization group and were looking to work on skills they could do outside that classroom setting. They actually gathered at the organizer's house, using her yard for the virtual class. We had such a blast! Henley was a puppy then and he participated too, acting as a "demo dog" for many of the exercises. To this day, he still tries to insert himself in my video appointments; I think he's hoping that he'll be involved again too.
So, back to my client in Chicago. She's currently organizing a group of her colleagues for an evening presentation on dog body language and communication. She's asking the rescue group where many of them got their dogs, to host the event. I'm excited already and planning out some fun activities to do during the meeting to help everyone gain a better understanding of how to apply what they'll learn to what they actually observe when they are with their dogs, out on walks, and at the dog park. It's going to be so much fun!
If any of you are interested in setting up a group appointment or seminar on a topic in animal behavior, just let me know, and I'll send you details. In the meantime, please continue to send your questions and pet observations my way. Maybe you'll see your topic turn up on the blog too.
As always, if you have questions about your pet's behavior, you know where to find me.
We did "class pictures" at the end of that virtual puppy class. Here was Henley's photo!

No comments:
Post a Comment