Thursday, March 9, 2017

Trying Something New Can Be Daunting...But Worth It!

My dear friend and favorite dog trainer, Trish Wamsat , brought a new method to my attention...and it's really fascinating. I followed up online with the creator of the method...only to see that she'd been getting a ton of negative press, backlash, and negativity from the very community she was trying to help....dog owners, their trainers, etc. It was very disturbing to me that folks would be so opposed to a new method that could truly help dogs. I know learning new things can be hard for some people, but seriously? The biggest fallacy seemed to be that somehow this method was unkind/cruel/unthinkable for a dog. So, being me, I tried it myself. Wow...it really works. Want to know more?

If you have a reactive dog, meaning a dog who acts out on leash, barking, lunging, and basically carrying on, then TAF, Turn and Face, could be for you too. Reactive could mean reactive to passing cars, or bikes, or skateboards, or joggers. It could mean a dog who reacts to other dogs. Could be a dog who is simply over threshold and very excited about the prospect of a new dog friend. It can also mean a dog who is ambivalent or aggressive toward other dogs. As long as the dog isn't a risk for the owner (meaning the dog isn't going to turn and bite his owner), then this method requires NO EXTRA EQUIPMENT. An owner, under the guidance of a trained TAF practitioner, can begin training. If a dog might redirect aggression toward its owner, then muzzle training should happen first before using the TAF method.

So, why was I using this method on one of my own dogs? Well, my beloved youngest Collie, Ozzie, had a bad experience with skateboards and scooters as a pup (something I tried SO hard to protect him from, but it happened nonetheless) and is now reactive when things move quickly by him. On occasion, he will also bark at other dogs, particularly if they bark at him first. From the first time I used TAF with Ozzie, I saw immediate results. He was calmer. He was centered. He was happy. How could anyone see this method as a bad thing? For me, using this method was much like turning one of my kids to face me, guiding them toward my body, with a comforting hand on their backs when they were little. They too would calm quickly, knowing they were shielded from what bothered them.

If you have a reactive dog on leash, I encourage you to purchase a copy of Denise McLeod's book, "A Dog Behaviourist's Diary and learn more about the TAF method. I am hoping that Trish will hold a seminar in the San Francisco Bay Area soon so we can all benefit from the research she has been conducting with this method and share her experiences with it. In the meantime, thank you Denise for your creativity, enthusiasm, and refusal to buck under when challenged. You are on the right track.

Now, back to my cup of coffee and Denise's book.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Thank you for this brilliant post. Trish is indeed doing a great job over the pond on my behalf, helping people to help their dogs with TAF. Despite the backlash, TAF has helped hundreds of dogs since the release of the book. Prior to that I had seen and helped hundreds of cases with TAF. But only dogs that could travel to me, so its reach was so tiny.

    Now its taken off all over the world and experienced trainers, like Trish, are able to reach out to dogs in their state, county, or country. Helping dogs that I could never have helped.

    The book has received fabulous reviews and although TAF might be the main reason many people buy it, TAF is just two chapters, the rest of the book covers a variety of other 'dog problems and their solutions' as well as some stories from my own life of working in dog behaviour and as a dog owner.

    Trish is soon to run a live TAF event in her local area and I cant wait to hear all about it, only wish I could be there.

    I'm so pleased that it has helped your dog Julie and thank you for writing this brilliant blog. Good luck to all involved now with TAF and may your dogs be calmer, quieter and a lot less stressed. Best Wishes to one and all, Denise Mcleod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Denise! Really looking forward to Trish's event her in the San Francisco Bay Area. And Ozzie thanks you too!

    ReplyDelete