Thursday, March 23, 2017

Let's Talk!

Communication is so important. Communication with each other and with our companion animals. While English may be a second (or third!) language for your pets, it remains important to be clear with what you want and expect. Perhaps an example will help!

I once taught a puppy class where I had an older, ex-military gentleman attending with his beautiful German Shepherd puppy, Max. As I was talking about clear communication, getting and keeping a puppy's attention, etc. and demonstrating this with a little Retriever mix in the class,  this man started shaking his head. Never one to shy away from a question, I asked what was going through his head. He told me he wanted to use all hand signals, did not want to use treats, and had no intention of "making an ass out of himself." When I asked that he show me what he meant, he did, and to say it was less than successful is probably not much of a surprise. I began clapping my hands and using my silly/happy/let's play voice, and called Max to me. Max whipped around from where he was sniffing another puppy, began wagging his whole body, and trotted my way. I petted him and told him what a fabulous puppy he truly was!  Then I gave him a hand signal for sit, he complied, and I gave him a yummy little treat. When the class broke out in applause, I knew they understood. Max's dad? He smiled and said "OK...I'll try. But I am still not making that silly voice." Mission accomplished.

What Max's dad learned that evening was that when it comes to communicating with your dog, no one thing will work every time. For puppies, you need to step up your game. But even with adult dogs...if they are distracted or otherwise engaged, you have to be bigger, better, and more interesting if you want them to listen to you. Get their attention focused on you by whistling, clapping, stomping your feet. When they look at you, mark it with a "Yes!" and then ask them for what you want. Or try something fun...when they look your way, take off at a trot, look back over your shoulder and say, "you coming too?" Not too many dogs can resist chasing after an owner who might be off on a fun adventure. Hand signals are great, but only if your dog can see them. Don't waste your breath (or the value of any commands) if your dog isn't looking at you. If he isn't looking at you, he isn't listening to you. And, yes, never doubt the value of a well-timed, yummy treat. I always carry some with me as I never know when I might need them.

Communication is about information exchange. Listen to what your pets are telling you. Be clear with them as to what you want. Have fun doing it...and don't forget the treats. We all like to get paid every now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment