Wednesday, June 5, 2019

If You Take a Dog to a Festival...

On Sunday, my son and I took the collies for a pet assisted therapy visit to a senior living facility.  The weekend before, I took Ozzie to a local kite festival.  I love taking my dogs with me whenever I can.  I think it's good for them to get out of their own backyard, and I think it's good for the public to see well-mannered dogs out and about.  I know I've talked about this more than once, but I feel compelled to talk about it yet again.

I would not take my dogs on these outings if I didn't think that they enjoyed them.  If either dog had not wanted to go on the therapy visit today, that dog could have stayed home.  As it was, they were both dancing around happily waiting for their special leashes they wear on their visits.  And last week at the kite festival, I watched Ozzie to see if he was getting tired, bored, or anxious.  He wasn't at all, so we stayed and watched the festivities.  It was interesting to note, however, that there were people at the festival whose dogs were clearly anxious about being there.  It's one thing to want to go to those types of events yourself, it's a whole other level of responsibility to take your dogs to them.  Dog owners need to make sure their dogs are ready for crowds, noise, strangers touching them uninvited, etc.  It's a fact that dogs who attend festivals will get approached and they will get touched whether you want that or not. If you don't want that, or your dog can't handle that, then don't bring them.  I KNOW people should ask if they can touch your dog, but frankly, they won't always do that and you need to be prepared.

Now, on a pet assisted therapy visit, it's expected that the pets attending like to be touched. A lot.  I find that while Ozzie has learned to enjoy these visits, he's game for about 30-45 minutes of this kind of intense attention from strangers and then he's ready to go, while Desi could stay much longer, especially if we are some place that is air conditioned!  I know my dogs. If a visit will run longer than 45 minutes, Ozzie and I just head out when he's done and he walks around outside sniffing until Desi is done with his visit.  I don't push my dogs, so they trust me.

It really was a pleasure doing that visit with both dogs and my son.  With Taylor being a senior now in high school, I know his free time is becoming less and less. Plus, I am certain there will come a time when he can think of better things to do than hang out with his mom.  However, he's always loved doing pet assisted therapy work and he does love his dogs, so I feel blessed. And I could see the pride in his face when people asked about the dogs and told him how beautiful they were, how soft, how well groomed and well-behaved, etc.  I always want my dogs to represent their breed well and be good ambassadors.  But, I know my dogs reflect back on me too as a dog owner and as an animal behaviorist.  Thus, I am cognizant of their likes and dislikes and I don't push them to perform.  I want them to enjoy our outings together.  Frankly, I think they like all of the extra attention. And I know they love going out to lunch afterward for a special treat.

With more and more businesses and venues allowing dogs on their premises, it falls to us dog owners to know our limitations and those of our dogs.  If your dog can't sit or lay quietly for an hour, don't take them to a busy restaurant.  If they pull on leash and jump on people, don't take them to a crowded street fair.  Be fair to the people around you. Don't let your dog block the sidewalk, push up against other people's tables, etc. I hate when people allow their children to disrupt other guests' experiences in restaurants, and it's just as annoying when it's their dogs that do it.  It doesn't have to be that way.  Practice makes perfect. Start out with short outings and quiet venues and build up to bigger things.  Take notes along the way of what your dog is good at and what needs work.  Finally, be honest with yourself. You can have a perfectly lovely dog that just isn't suitable for taking out in public and that's okay too.

As always, if you have any questions about your pet's behavior, you know where to find me.


Ozzie and Desi keeping an eye on things 
from our table in the shade at Mel's Diner in Walnut Creek,
 after our pet assisted therapy visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment