Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Out in Public Spaces

I realize that this is kind of a"part 2/follow up/more thoughts" kind of piece from my post last week about the Husky we met in a Seattle park. So, bear with me because I think this is important.

Desi and I did our pet assisted therapy visit on Sunday where he charmed everyone, as usual. Following our visit, we headed downtown as I needed to run a few errands and it was a lovely day, perfect for a stroll with my buddy.  While walking from the parking garage to the shops, Desi and I saw many dogs walking with their humans.  Some lunged at him (he ignores this), a few barked (that usually gets a tail wag), and a couple made moves to sniff him (he's always good with that).  I generally ask Desi to stay at my side and we try to wait 3 feet or so away from other people and their dogs, so as not to be rude or crowding at stop lights, corners, standing in line, etc.  More than once, Desi was approached and petted without any discussion/acknowledgement of me.  Keep in mind, I was wearing my bright turquoise, Furry Friends Pet Assisted Therapy t-shirt, so there is no way people could miss me.  Maybe they figured if I was wearing a shirt about therapy animals, then it must be okay to approach and touch my dog without asking?  But here's the thing. Yes, Desi IS the quintessential pet assisted therapy dog. He loves EVERYBODY and really does want to meet EVERYONE, ALL OF THE TIME.  However, I saw some of these same people walking up to other dogs who gave no indication whatsoever that they enjoyed that kind of attention from strangers. In fact, I observed a couple of dogs quickly move away from approaching strangers and bark a warning.  Did those approaching strangers apologize? No. They made angry facial expressions and comments to those dogs' owners about how dogs who aren't friendly shouldn't be out in public.  That really ticked me off.

Just because a dog isn't friendly with strangers, is slow to warm up, or simply needs you to get permission from its owner before petting, doesn't negate that dog's right to be out in public.  Don't get me wrong here. I don't think that it is okay to bring an overtly aggressive, people-biting dog out in a congested, high traffic area. None of these dogs were aggressive that I could see. They just didn't want to be approached or touched by strangers.  And the woman walking with the service dog wearing a working dog vest and harness in the department store?  She shouldn't have been approached at all and she shouldn't have had to say, "No, please don't touch my dog. He's working."  What is wrong with the general public?  I am pretty sure these same people would not have wanted strangers walking up and touching their children unsolicited, and yet they think it is okay to do it with people's unfamiliar dogs? And, yes, I understand dogs are not children, but I do believe the analogy is a good one.

I know I am probably preaching to the choir here with a lot of you reading this.  However, I am certain you know people who do this or who admonish other folks for taking their dogs out in public even if they aren't friendly with strangers, don't like other dogs, etc.  Spread the word.  Give dogs and their humans space. Share the sidewalk.  Talk to the human before asking about the dog.  Don't touch or approach service dogs.  Be kind to one another.  And by all means, ask me if you can pet my therapy dog.  I will say yes.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this as well. And, as always, if you have behavior questions or concerns, you know where to find me.


Desi striking a pose in front of a Spring window display on our Sunday outing.

2 comments:

  1. Love this blog! It seems as if assumptions are constantly made by people about the disposition of a dog. Would it be the same if I was walking say a lion or a tiger? Of course not! All dogs need to be approached with the assumption that they are not OK with being petted or even approached. It seems as if most people as youth were told to ask if it was OK to pet the dog, and then present a hand for sniffing....adults have seem to forgotten this. One of my Pet Therapy Orgs, Alliance of Therapy Dogs has a 2' rule from all animals while doing therapy work. This respects the dogs space from all other dogs (and other animals). While not all orgs have this it is understandable. Maybe humans should have this rule till they ask if it is OK to approach and pet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree! Whatever happened to polite human behavior? And don't offer your hand to a dog to sniff, that's not the best way to meet a dog. Instead, rub the dog on the chest or under the chin while standing sideways. This is perceived by the dog as non-threatening and appeasing. BUT...most importantly...ask first! I like the 2' rule a lot.

      Delete