Thursday, September 27, 2018

Little Dogs

Someone asked me yesterday if I like little dogs. I thought this was so funny.  I mean, why wouldn't I like little dogs?  The person asking said that they always see pictures of me with my collies, so they figured that I must be a "big dog person." At this point I decided to quote my late mother, saying "It's not that I don't like (little) dogs, it's that I like well-behaved (little) dogs." For me, it isn't the size of the dog that is important to whether they melt my heart or not. It's their behavior.  Well-behaved dogs always make me swoon, regardless of size.  I will say, however, that there are many benefits to loving little dogs.  They fit better on your lap and don't make your legs and feet fall asleep when they lay there.  They only take up one seat in the car.  They can be scooped up and carried in a shoulder bag when they get tired of walking. They can be bathed in a sink.  These are just a few benefits that come to mind.  My collies are happy to sit on your lap, but your feet will tingle if you sit there too long.  And don't get me started on the amount of space they take up in a car.  I think Desi truly wishes I would carry him when he gets tired on walks.  Baths at home? Not happening with my collies.

I think the bigger issue is that some little-dog-owners don't feel the need to make their pint-sized pets behave.  They allow them to jump on people, lunge and bark on leash, and snap at passersby from their handbags.  None of that is okay, regardless of the size of the dog.  However, a large dog jumping up, lunging, barking, or snapping at people walking by is going to get noticed a lot faster and receive a lot more negative commentary from the public around them.  It's just a fact.  We really shouldn't make excuses for inappropriate behavior in any dog.  As dog owners, we need to just own up to the fact that our dogs jump up, sniff crotches, or whatever it is that they do.  And know that these problems can and should be fixed in any sized dog. Need help? Just ask!

So, yes, I do like little dogs. In fact, there are some little dogs who simply turn me to mush with their overwhelming cuteness. And I am sure the day will come when I see a smaller dog as a better option for me, that day just isn't today.  In the meantime, I do enjoy other people's small dogs.  When they are well-behaved, that is.


Me snuggling with my little dog friend, Posey. She'll steal your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment