Thursday, August 24, 2017

All Work and No Play...

Beginning in September, I will be teaching one of my very favorite classes...the seminar on Dog Play Behavior!

My graduate research was on play behavior, so it is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I love teaching people about the importance of play, while also teaching them how to read canine body language and look for warning signs that play has gotten too rough, or isn't play at all.

It is critical for dogs to learn what is acceptable and appropriate in terms of play. It is absolutely true that older well-socialized dogs with great play skills can help guide younger dogs, and it is okay for older dogs to tell off puppies who get too rambunctious. Knock it off means knock it off and puppies have to learn this!

Dog play is reciprocal or consensual, meaning everyone is having a good time. Learning canine body language helps humans to learn what that good time looks like and how to help their dogs have success. While it is certainly possible for dogs to misread the cues they are given by other dogs, it isn't generally the case. But people often misread the cues and I can help with that!

If you love to watch dogs play, want to learn more about canine body language, or you are just interested in learning more about dog behavior, please join me for this fun seminar. You can sign up for the class at www.adobedogs.org. Part of the class involves recording and decoding videos of dog play, so here is a link to one of my favorites, featuring my boys and a blankie ;)

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Desi-The-Pet-Assisted-Therapy-Collie-826055407427609/videos/



No comments:

Post a Comment